ShareThis

Looking for the Right Help can drive you to Drink.

A Psychiatrist brought me back from the hell of the Symptoms of Anxiety Depression. The 'Call me when you Sober' attitude did not stop me

Getting the Right Help-Big Time Important. "Call me when you're Sober"


Sounds logical. Doesn't it? Unfortunately my friends not so straightforward. A Psychiatrist would seem the right place to start. But is it? Symptoms of depression anxiety and a call me when you sober attitude could ruin the best of intentions. The medical profession by it's own admission is sharply divided on the core reasons for Alcoholism and Depression. As a result the treatments are as varied as the wind that blows. Your mission in life, once you think that you are heading for disaster,has to be a determined search for the right one for you. My own example is a classic case. It was nobody's fault. Just circumstances and my own lack of information and knowledge. To refresh-
I drank most of my adult life. Got seriously hooked and got very ill. Visited a number of professionals and finally was admitted for "Sleep Therapy". It worked wonders for me. Have a look at my 2006 posts.
Came out of that nightmare and then found myself almost exactly one year later with a huge and dangerous Depression and prescription drug problem. Once again I floundered around and then finally hit the jackpot. A couple of old school professionals could see that my Symptoms of Anxiety Depression were severe and arranged for ECT(Shock Treatment). I walked out of that a brand new man. Once again have a alook at my 2006 posts.
A total of 4 Psychiatrists,8 Psychologists and 3 General Practioners were finally on my CV until I finally hit the jackpot. The point is that you would think that all you have to do is present yourself to the nearest Doctor and Bob's your uncle. Not so. A Psychiatrist treats the worst cases but sometimes a Psychologist is the answer to get some good old fashioned one on one. You will come across the Call me when you Sober brigade. Move on.
Here is a brief summary of the different treatment regimes that can help Alcoholism and Depression:
One on one couselling involving Cognitive Behavourial Therapy. In other words they try and talk you out of the mess.
A soft Rehab programme where you sit around discussing your problems and addictions. Eating well and hopefully sleeping most of the night with a little help.
Continual visits to the trusted family physician and regular handouts of pills to help you relax,sleep and even think.
The "last resort" treatment. The big Daddy of them all. ECT. Electro Convulsive Therapy. But this is for the worst cases of Depression and suicidal tendencies.
All have their merits and frankly all can work depending on your level of severity. By the time you need treatment you are probably incapable of organising any of these options and will rely on the good favour of your loved ones to butt in. Withdrawal symptoms from Alcoholism are a frightening prospect to face even for the toughest of the tough. Sleep Therapy worked a treat for me. One week in Noddy Land and I awoke to a new beginning. Highly recommended.
I will get into the organisations such as the Alcoholics-Annoymous and Alanon who tend to provide the help once you have been to the medical guys.
The point is you do have options. Ask about them. If something is not working,move on. I would not be writing this blog today if my loved ones had not kept pushing for the best and correct treatment for me. Symptoms of Anxiety Depression and the occasional Call me when you're Sober did not deter me finding the best help, when it really counted.
I always like to quote Sir Winston Churchill. In the darkest days of the Nazi threat he urged his little island:
"If you are going through hell. Keep going."

Also please have a look at these Posts relating to My Own Alcoholism/Depression and Addiction Recovery -
















No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to see what you guys think.